Wednesday 9 September 2015

Bionic Gear Bag

Well now I'm back from my travels around Scandinavia I've had time to fix my Blogpress account which wasn't working and finally do a blog post .... Just in case you are not on Instagram.

I've made a Bionic Gear Bag which is like a "go large" version of the Sew Together bag.
The embroidered bee is from the "Little Quilts" book by Sarah Fielke and I managed to use up some of the beautiful vintage sheets from the swap organised by Mary Emmens. I added the Angelina fibre to the wings and it gives them a lovely shine.
I'm not one for mini quilts as at the moment I've no wall for them, I prefer thinks that are useful .... Though Tim does now ask as to how many zip pouches do I actually need. But need has nothing to do with it, I just like making them! So my next one won't have a zip ... As this has 4 internal zip pockets.
Next I plan to make a Japanese loop bag as I'm enjoying my Kantha stitching but that will be another post.
I spent ages trying to decide on a binding and this was the best but as it was a fat quarter I didn't have a piece for the binding that was 24" and the pattern said to trim to fit the 22" zip, so I bodged it and trimmed the zip a little. I should have then put longer zip tab ends on but I'll know for next time.
I also ripped the zip out as the way it was layered in the pattern meant that I'd be hand sewing the binding onto the top edge of the zip, so I reordered it. Outer - zip - binding and then stitched, much neater :o)
I also made tab ends for each of the zips, I will make them a bit longer next time too but they do reduce the bulk in the side seam and give the bag a lovely finish.












- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

11 comments:

  1. I love this pouch. I am so with you on the mini quilts thing. I feel bad if I don't hang them up but don't have places to hang them. I actually bought the little quilts book and haven't made a thing for this very reason, it's so cool integrating a quilt design into something useful and tell Tim you can never have enough zip pouches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well ... you can NEVER have too many bags ... the colours are soo pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love It! I have the book the bee is on my list Todo..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, tell Tim to behave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous use of your Bee "mini" and those vintage sheets! I completely missed you were in Scandinavia but I hope you had a great time (with fresh fresh air, no :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous use of your Bee "mini" and those vintage sheets! I completely missed you were in Scandinavia but I hope you had a great time (with fresh fresh air, no :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous use of your Bee "mini" and those vintage sheets! I completely missed you were in Scandinavia but I hope you had a great time (with fresh fresh air, no :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's brilliant! I love everything about it, a great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous bee, and surely there's no such thing as too many pouches? They sound perfect for presents with Christmas getting slightly closer too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mini's here, mini's there, mini's mini's everywhere..

    Great bag, that bee is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete