Saturday 15 February 2014

Kokeshi Doll

Le Challenge - The Rising Sun

When reading through the inspiration for Le Challenge I thought that I'd use the perfect piece of fabric that was in the Goody Bag from FQR London last year. It was a small piece of lovely Art Gallery fabric which reminded me of a kimono.
I used the pattern from Homespun Magazine issue 15.1 for the little Kokeshi Doll. The pattern had 3 strung on a string, but I only had enough fabric for one.



I used a different fabric to line her sleeves. Each of the dolls has a different hair style, but this was my favourite. She is only 6 inches tall but has a big personality!



The pattern is available in the Melly and Me shop and includes a cuddle size mama Kokeshi.




I would have loved to make something from this Japanese book that I got at the Cowslip Workshop Christmas fair for £1 ... But it will be more of a long term project as it's quite complicated. I googled the isbn number and eventually found out that this type of Japanese reversible patchwork is called Orinuno. I will have a go at it as it is all done by hand and so it will be a good portable project for me.



Linking up with Le Challenge ... Why don't you pop over and check out what Lucy and Nat have made, as well as the other links.
Also linking with the Slow Bloggers as I'm averaging less than one a month at the moment as Instagram seems so much quicker, but I appreciate that not everyone is on IG. Also I can't leave links on IG either.
Moira is hosting the Slow Bloggers this month.

17 comments:

  1. The doll is great! and I look forward to seeing the other patchwork project under way. It looks complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the patchwork looks fairly complicated. I am envious you were able to get to Cowslip Workshops Christmas Fair. I wish I lived closer but I did enjoy my visit there last October. The doll is so cute too but I would not have the patience.
    Just visiting via the Slow Bloggrs party

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this little doll. I'm gonna go over and have a look at the slow bloggers now. Have a good Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gorgeous version of the doll, that fabric is awesome! Love japanese reversible quilting, though wow, those diagrams look in a whole 'nother league, really love to see some blocks when you may get to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is lovely ... and I love the .. Less detail.. in the face .. makes her more real and pretty somehow x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little doll! I know a lot of little girls who would love her very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely doll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. she is so sweet :-) I love IG too, but I love reading the fuller story on blogs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The doll is so cute, and that japanese book looks hardcore.cannot wait to see what you make our of it! Thanks for sharing on le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My, my, my . . . what a cute little doll :)
    Happy weekend.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute doll, GD says that's good to go for Japan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little doll is very sweet! I haven't heard of Orinuno - now I'm curious:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cute doll!! The Japanese quilt will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this doll, so cute. Must have been fun to make.

    ReplyDelete